Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Give Me Liberty

Liberty Art Fabric prints have a lot of fans.  J.Crew has offered Liberty prints for a few years and they are popular, although somewhat pricey compared to their other prints.  I used to pass over the Liberty prints until I saw Dinagideon raving about them and they looked so good on her, I had to give them a try and I'm glad I did.  This season I looked at J.Crew and beyond for Liberty Art Fabric prints since it's nice to have options.  Let's take a look, shall we?

J.Crew
This print is the Margaret Annie floral perfect shirt, which J.Crew states is a signature floral from Liberty.  It is part of J.Crew Collection.

There is only the single multi-color option in this print but it is gorgeous.  It's one of the prints with a lot of different colors rather than a tonal print and I think that can give you more options to pair this shirt with plenty of colors in your wardrobe. There's a bit too much yellow and green for my complexion so I can't wear it, but I can still admire the print.

J.Crew
This J.Crew shirt is simply listed as perfect shirt in Liberty Arts Floral and has more of a tonal color scheme, although the pattern differs between the color choices.  Incidentally the Green Pink floral (far right, below) appears to be the popular honeysuckle print from spring 2011.  This shirt is also part of J.Crew Collection.
L to R: Aqua Floral; Pink Berry; Green Pink Floral
One thing I love about Liberty prints is that they are offered in sturdy yet soft 100% cotton, which I much prefer over the more delicate cotton/silk blend for many of the J.Crew perfect shirts.  I have two J.Crew Liberty perfect shirts from 2010 and 2011 and last spring I really caught the Liberty bug and tried the Bouquet Shirtdress from J.Crew.  You can read the info and comments about the dress in this J.Crew Aficionado post. 

J.Crew Spring/Summer 2011
Such a cute design and pretty fabric but my oh my, this dress did not work on my straight figure.  I have minimal butt and hips but I don't have a small waist so fuller skirts tend to add excess volume on my lower half.  As much as I loved the idea of this dress, I had to return it but I've been keeping my eye on Liberty prints, hoping there may be another dress that will work for me.

This season Brooks Brothers has some Liberty Art Fabric offerings.  It's not the first time BB and Liberty have come together and this season there are some lovelies.

Brooks Brothers
Although not as versatile as J.Crew's perfect shirt, the Cotton Floral Print Tunic in yellow has an interesting abstract paisley print with yellow, black and white.

The tab sleeves lend a bit of functionality to this summer piece that could also work as a beach cover-up. It's only available in the yellow colorway.

Brooks Brothers
This Liberty Print Short-Sleeve dress from Brooks Brothers is fully-lined with front and back seaming and an invisible zipper to give it a tailored, streamlined fit.  This is a classic shift silhouette in a pretty spring floral that you could wear as long as you like the pattern.  It is above-knee length but still respectable and suitable for more casual summer dress codes where a shift dress is appropriate.

The short-sleeve dress is available in this burgundy colorway, with mauve and green accents.

Brooks Brothers
The Liberty Print Sleeveless Dress is the epitome of summer in a breezy floral shirtdress with a self-tie belt.  The full skirt and longer-length on this dress will make it quite popular, I expect.

Another classic spring/summer silhouette it is available in blue, pink and orange tonal floral prints. 
Brooks Brothers
My favorite this season is the Liberty Print Meadow Dress.  It reminds me of J.Crew's Bouquet shirtdress but it is a bit more tailored to my style with long sleeves, a very slight A-line and longer skirt.  The Meadow dress comes in Light Purple and Dark Pink.  Both are pretty but I really must try the purple.

Subtle floral prints provide a feminine air that is perfect for spring.  A classically structured garment made of fine fabric gives these basic pieces longevity, reducing the cost per wear over their lifetime.  In addition to looking good, the easy care of machine wash and dry make these perfect for busy mothers and great travel pieces too since the patterns can help to hide hide any packing creases.

Are you a fan of Liberty Art Fabric prints?  Will you be trying any of the J.Crew or Brooks Brothers Liberty items?  Have you spotted Liberty at any other retailers this season?

19 comments:

  1. Why? Why did I come here? LOL. :)

    I LOVE those brooks brothers options, they are so pretty. Thanks for showing all of us (I think!)...I am not in the market for those dresses now, but could be come May when the flowers are up and my waist is back (sort of). Maybe I will luck out and they will be in the sale section by then...

    I love the Margaret Annie print the most, but that would be a very definite duplicate in my closet.

    Oh, btw, thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dina, you are the Queen of Prints in my book. It's still early in the season so it's possible the BB dresses will make it to sale or perhaps a F&F promo, which is usually 25% off. I will definitely put up a post if that happens.

      I can see the Margaret Annie print on you, it would be fabulous but I totally understand about duplicates.

      Delete
  2. The BB dresses are GORGEOUS. Very wearable options for Liberty prints, thanks so much for highlighting them for us.
    You just know that they'll be so well made coming out of BB as well, which makes them worth the money.
    I'm going to go look at them now and I might be in trouble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani, I expect your vacation is not a shopping junket but if you happen to pass by BB while you are in Florida, they may have these dresses out on the floor already. Any opportunity to save on Duty and shipping to Canada is a bonus.

      Delete
  3. Southern Belle Ph.D.February 8, 2012 at 11:35 AM

    XOXO, Thank you so very much for this review. I have been contemplating my first Liberty Art Fabric purchase as I am not really very much of a flower person. The BB dress with long sleeves in purple is also my favorite and the one I plan to order. I received a card from BB for 25% my order on one day before 31 March and I have been patiently waiting for add'l Spring arrivals. Your comments have convinced me that I must try this dress. I am also contemplating the JC Liberty Art shirt in the berry color or aqua floral.

    Thank you again so very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Southern Belle, how nice to get a discount card! You must report back on your Liberty items, I would love to hear your opinion. I will try the BB dress eventually but it's a bit too early for me yet, we are still in the depths of winter and I am working on my plan to carefully add a bit of color to my suiting wardrobe right now.

      I'm not much of a flower person either but when thoughts turn to spring, I think of Liberty. A nice, light cotton dress or shirt is a welcome wardrobe addition.

      Delete
  4. Oh I absolutely love the BB dresses, too! I think I may end up getting one at some point. I really like the last two and can easily see myself having difficult deciding which one to choose. Do you own any BB dresses xoxo? If so, how is the sizing compared to J.Crew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do own a couple of BB dresses, as well as other pieces. The garments don't fit as slim as J.Crew but the difference is not enough to size down, in my experience. I recommend trying on in-store or getting measurements for a specific item.

      The dresses are lovely, the last one reminds me of the J.Crew version, only a bit more grown-up if that makes sense. Can't wait to try it.

      Delete
  5. Thanks xoxo! I only have a BB Factory store near me, so I don't think they are likely to have either of the dresses there. I will be sure to ask for garment measurements though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am feeling weak - broke down and ordered this shirt as I think it is so pretty and am still haunted by missing the giverny skirt of 08...

    Love all of these prints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful to find a beautiful print that you will love for years. Glad you didn't miss out this time around.

      Delete
  7. Liberty prints are so-so for me but I will admit that the BB dresses are nicer than what JCrew has to offer and not a lot more expensive than the shirts considering you are getting a dress. I like the short sleeve shift the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only remember the one Liberty dress from J.Crew and I think the Brooks Brothers dresses are more classic. The short sleeve shift is so pretty.

      Delete
  8. I love the idea of the berry print in the j.crew shirt, but I never feel like prints are as slimming as solids. Ladies, your ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think tiny prints can be as slimming as solids but larger prints are a bit more tricky. I'm leery of large-scale prints for that reason, among others.

      Delete
  9. Oooh, what a nice entry!! I especially love the BB sleeveless dress. Thank you for putting this all together!! I also love the multi color JC perfect shirt. I haven't seen it in store yet, but with JC, I feel like I have to wait for the inevitable sale...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The J.Crew shirt is fabulous. Although the price is high, for good quality fabrics and prints that should last it will be worth it IMO. Hopefully it will make it to sale though, that would make it even sweeter.

      Delete
  10. The shirt is pretty - reminds me of Liz Claiborne cca late 80s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with Liz Clairborne Rose, maybe I should check it out.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...